5800 students unlocked their dream jobs with UG/PG programs in top colleges. Apply Now!
CAT 2020 Result - The official declaration of the Common Admission Test result for 2020 took place on 2nd January 2021 by the Indian Institute of Management, Indore. Over 2 lakh candidates appeared for the exam, with a dream of cracking the IIMCAT with high percentile and seeking admission into postgraduate management courses offered by nation’s best B-Schools.
This year, due to the pandemic, the duration of the CAT 2020 was reduced from three to two hours. The sectional time duration of CAT was reduced to 40 minutes from 60 minutes for each section.
The result of CAT 2020 has been made available online, on the official website of IIM CAT, www.iimcat.ac.in. However, at times the total CAT percentile of the candidates are sent to them through SMS on their registered mobile number or through e-mail.
CAT Result 2020
IIMs release their admission criteria listing the admission norms and guidelines along with minimum CAT cut off and CAT pass percentile every year. The candidates writing CAT and interested in taking admission in IIMs must go through these admission norms in order to get an idea about the minimum score they would need to obtain in each section and overall to clear the cut-off and get shortlisted for further admission rounds.
Read this post further for complete information on CAT 2020 exam.
The result of CAT 2020 is only available in online mode only. The scorecard will not be sent to any of the candidates in hard copy through post or email. The CAT 2020 score validity is until 31 December 2021.
The CAT 2020 result furnish the following –
- Scaled scores for each section and total score
- Sectional percentile and total percentile
CAT 2020 Result Schedule
|CAT 2020 Exam Date
|29 November 2020
|Date of announcement of CAT 2020 Result
|2nd January 2021
|List of shortlisted candidates to be published by IIMs on their respective websites
|3rd Week of January 2021
On the basis of the percentile and other CAT exam statistics, the admission criteria released by the IIMs and the CAT 2020 cut off, the candidates are shortlisted for the next level of selection. The cat topper scorecard is what determines the cat percentile for others and sets the criteria for short-listing the candidates for further rounds of admission. The candidates who are shortlisted are intimated via official websites of the respective Institutes and are also sent interview letter.
CAT 2020 Result – Score and Percentile
Following the CAT Marking Scheme, the answers will be checked and a total CAT exam score will be determined. This score will then be adjusted through a process called “equating”.
Here this score shall be normalized across different sections. Thereafter the normalized score obtained by the candidates shall further be converted into percentiles for the purposes of short-listing.
Along with the score obtained in CAT 2020, the past academic record, relevant work experience of the candidates are taken into consideration for the purpose of short-listing and ranking of candidates at various stages of the admission process.
The candidates must follow the below-listed steps for obtaining their result of IIM CAT 2020.
- Open the official website of IIM-CAT, www.iimcat.ac.in, on any internet-enabled computer system or click on the direct link given above. On the homepage there, look for the login box and click on “Existing User” as mentioned there.
- After clicking, the candidates will be redirected to a page where they will be required to enter their CAT login details, such as CAT 2020 User ID and Password.
- Fill in the login details correctly and click on the button “Login” for logging in and checking your result.
- Upon successful login, search for the respective link to download the CAT 2020 Result cum scorecard and click the same.
- On clicking, the result will be displayed on the screen and candidates must download the same.
- Open the downloaded CAT result 2020 file in any pdf reader software and take its printout on an A4 sized sheet for future reference. Keep the downloaded copy of CAT 2020 scorecard saved till the admission process concludes.
Details furnished on CAT 2020 Scorecard
The CAT exam result in 2020 will furnish the following –
- Personal details of candidates, their name, category, gender, date of birth, contact details and email address etc
- CAT registration number
- Scaled scores for each of the 3 sections of CAT 2020 exam
- Total CAT 2020 score obtained by candidates
- Sectional percentile of all 3 sections
- Total CAT 2020 percentile
After CAT 2020 Result Announcement
Applying to IIMs individually is not required as it gets done while registering for the Common Admission Test. However, the candidates are required to apply to non-IIMs, based on their CAT 2020 percentile. To do so, they must keep a check on the application dates of various other renowned B-schools, where they wish to seek admission and apply accordingly.
Selection on the basis of CAT 2020 Result
The selection process for the B-schools accepting CAT score is extremely rigorous and requires quite a lot of preparation. The process for most of the B-schools these days includes a Written Ability Test (WAT) and a Personal Interview (PI). To understand the process in a better way, let’s break it into 3 stages, which are as follow –
How will I get a call from Management Institutes?
Getting a call from IIM or other Management Institutes in India entirely depends on certain attributes, which are as follow –
- An overall percentile score of CAT
- Sectional cutoffs of CAT
- Overall CAT Score
- Academic Record and Work Profile of the candidates
- Work Experience
In the last week of January 2021, the IIMs will most likely release the first shortlist furnishing the names of the candidates who will be called for the further selection process. This first shortlist will be prepared on the basis of CAT score/percentile and candidates profile. Each IIM has issued individual admission criteria and follow the same for short-listing the candidates for further stages. The candidate’s performance in CAT 2020 will play an important role in the short-listing process.
A balanced high percentile is required for being short-listed. Along with the overall percentile, the candidates will also need high percentile across all the 3 sections. For the new IIMs, the sectional cutoff percentiles is expected to be around 85+ and 90+ for the existing ones. So it means that a candidate who scores in totality around 96 percentile with 90 in DI & LR, 94 in Quant and 86 in Verbal might get a call from IIMs. However, a candidate with an overall score of 99 percentile getting 97 in Quant but 78 in Verbal would miss out the call. The list of short-listed candidates will be made available on the individual official websites of IIMs.
IIM Admission - Important Documents Required
If the candidates get a call from IIM, he/she will be required to furnish the following documents for the purpose of eligibility verifications –
- Mark sheets and Degree certificates – Original mark sheets along with attested copies of the same.
- If belonging to Reservation Category, then certificates supporting the same – Original copy must be brought for furnishing and a photocopy of the same must be submitted there.
- Candidates still pursuing last year of graduation – Need to submit an attested copy of the original certificate obtained from a concerned authority specifying the fulfilment of required marks.
The exam was held at national level across 140 cities of India, on a single day but in two sessions – morning and forenoon. CAT Result 2020 plays a very important role in the careers of management aspirants. Their percentile and CAT score is the key for candidates to unlock the gates of one of the 20 IIMs and other top B-Schools of the country such as MDI Gurgaon, LBSIM, Amity, SPJIMR, FMS Delhi, BHU etc.
CAT 2020 exam candidates can download the CAT scorecards from the official website here.