5800 students unlocked their dream jobs with UG/PG programs in top colleges. Apply Now!
Xavier Aptitude Test which is commonly referred to as XAT is one of the most popular MBA entrance tests in India. So, a student often wonders what is XAT? Well, it is an entrance examination conducted each year by Xavier School of Management, Jamshedpur (which was formerly named Xavier Labour Relations Institutecovers) or XLRI, Jamshedpur.
The institute has the reputation of being the oldest B school in India. Each year more than 1,00,000 students from diverse academic backgrounds like engineering, humanities, commerce even law appear for this test, which is held once a year.
More than 160+ top B schools which are XAT accepting colleges include SPJIMR(Mumbai), IMT(Ghaziabad) other than XLRI accept XAT score for admission into their various MBA programs. It is pertinent to mention that XLRI will not accept any other score for admission into MBA.
XAT Important Dates 2022
It is more than necessary for students appearing for any competitive examination to be well aware of all the important dates relating to that exam.
- XAT application started on 10th August 2021
- XAT registration would end at midnight on 30th November 2021, which is XAT registration last date.
- XAT admit card is expected to be available for download on 20th December 2021 till the day of the exam
- XAT exam date is expected to be 3rd January 2022 from 9:30 AM to 2:30 PM.
- XAT result 2022 or result online is expected to be declared by 31st January 2022.
NOTE: Students must keep themselves regularly updated with XAT notifications in case there are any changes relating to the XAT Registration schedule. Students must keep referring to XAT official website- https://xatonline.in/
XAT Registration 2022
XAT Registration for Xavier Aptitude Test ( XAT) is a simple six-step process. These six steps are as follows-
- Step 1- Get yourself registered
- You must log in to XAT official website- https://xatonline.in/
- Here you will get an option to register yourself
- For registration, you would be required to fill in all necessary details like your email ID, phone number. Etc.
- Step 2- Verify your Mail Address
- You will get a confirmation mail from XAT, through which you will get your mail address verified.
- Step 3 -Fill XAT application form
- After you have verified your mail address you can fill up the online XAT application form, where you would be required to fill all the necessary requisites relating to your education qualification and all other personal details.
- Step 4 – Upload Required documents
- After filling the XAT form, you will have to upload required documents like your signature, photograph, Graduation mark sheets, etc.
- Step 5 – Pay XAT 2021 exam fee
- XAT fee is Rs. 1750, which you can pay online after selecting your method for payment.
- The application fee can be paid using a Debit Card, Credit Card, Pay TM, Netbanking, or Other Wallet.
- Step 6- Submit your Application
- After paying your XAT fee you can make the final submission of your application.
- Students must take note that after finally submitting your application no changes in the application will be allowed afterwards.
Things students should keep in mind while filling XAT application form-
- Students must keep all the required documents readily available.
- Students must carefully and patiently fill out the application form.
- Students must download the fee receipt provided to them.
- Students are advised to use the following browsers to avoid any hassle i.e. Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Windows Internet Explorer.
- Students must carefully read all the details they have filled out before making the final submission as no changes will be permitted afterwards.
XAT 2022 Eligibility
- Anyone with a valid graduation degree or any equivalent course recognized by the Ministry of Human Resources can apply for XAT 2021.
- Anyone who has completed their final year examination by 10th, June 2020 may also apply.
- NRI or foreign candidates can apply through their GMAT score.
Documents required for XAT registration
In order to successfully register for XAT 2022, candidates must upload digital copies of certain documents on the online registration portal. Candidates will have to enter other details related to their academic history during registration. Documents containing those details should be kept handy.
We have listed the documents along with the format below.
|10th and 12th Marksheet||N/A||N/A||To enter details|
|Graduation Marksheet||N/A||N/A||To enter details|
|Passport Size photograph||.jpeg||20 - 50 KB||To be uploaded on the portal|
||10 - 30 KB||To be uploaded on the portal|
XAT 2022 Exam Pattern
XAT Syllabus 2022 is divided into four different sections i.e. Quantitative Aptitude, Decision Making, Verbal Ability, and Reading Comprehension. If we exclude the General Awareness section, then all the other three sections are core sections; meaning they would determine your XAT score and your XLRI shortlisting criteria. A score of general awareness will not be considered when you will be appearing for the personal interview round.
Any student appearing for any competitive exam must be well acquainted with the pattern of the examination and syllabus. Let us have a look at a few of the key pointers relating to the XAT 2022 Exam Pattern-
- There will be only four sections rather than five sections that were available last year in the XAT 2021 question paper.
- All questions will be of MCQ type.
- 75 Questions will carry negative marking.
- 25 questions of General awareness will have no negative marking.
- All the four sections i.e. Verbal Ability, Reading Comprehension & Logical Reasoning; Decision Making; Quantitative Ability & Data Interpretation; General Knowledge will form part of a single question paper without breaks in contrast to two different sections which were there last year.
- XAT syllabus does not include essay writing this time.
- The number of questions in each section is not fixed.
- +1 marks will be awarded for each correct answer.
- -0.25 will be deducted for each wrong answer.
- After students have left more than eight questions unanswered -0.05 will be deducted for each question that is left out.
XAT 2022 Exam Syllabus
It Is important to note that XLRI has not particularly defined the syllabus for XAT. So it goes for XAT 2022. As a result, for effective preparation, students must be meticulously aware of the syllabus and various topics that are covered by each section. So let us have a detailed look at each of the four sections and topics covered by them.
Quantitative Aptitude & Data Interpretation (QA AND DI)
Many students preparing for XAT 2021 could find this section particularly challenging, however with careful and persistent preparation anyone can reasonably expect to ace this section, this section is aimed at analyzing and testing the mathematical skill of the students, the level of mathematics that is generally covered is up to 10th level. There is no fixed percentage of questions that will be asked from DI and QA respectively. Generally speaking, if you have attempted 4-5 questions from DI and 13-15 questions from QA it shall be considered a good attempt.
Various subtopics covered under QA and DI are-
- Profit and loss
- Quadratic Equations
- Time and Space
- Height and Distance
- Complex Numbers
- Speed and Distance
- Linear Equations
Verbal Ability And Logical Reasoning
This section covers three different sections i.e. Reading Comprehension, Verbal Ability, and Logical Reasoning. It is considered to be a relatively easier section however, students must devote adequate time to this section to be able to master this section.
Verbal Ability- This part is designed in a manner that could effectively students command over English Language and its vocabulary. Questions that are generally asked include fill in the blanks, usage of the right word, Synonyms, antonyms, etc.
Reading Comprehension- This is known to be a time-consuming section as students have to read the given passages. Based on the given passage you would be required to answer the given questions. A high share of VALR could be expected from this section. Passages could relate to economics, politics, etc.
Logical Reasoning- Questions from this part usually come in sets of 2-3 questions. Types of questions that are asked in these sections usually relate to topics like the analogy, clocks, seating arrangements, blood relations, etc. This section is designed in a manner that basic reasoning skills or intelligence of the candidate could be efficiently tested.
Below are given various important topics of this section in a tabular form.
|Para Completion||Para Jumble|
|Social Issues||Literature And Fiction|
Decision Making (DM)
This section of the XAT exam is not there in any other competitive Bschool entrance exams in India. However, students need not worry as this is going to be relatively much easier compared to other sections. Let us have a look at a few important highlights of this section-
- 21 questions are expected to be asked from this section.
- Questions will be set based.
- Marks will be deducted for each wrong answer in this section.
- Questions that are usually asked consist of decision making in a given situation, data arrangements, etc.
- The difficulty level is expected to be moderate for this section.
Important topics for Decision Making -
- Data Arrangement Tests
- Case lets
- Decision Making in a Situation
- Conditions and Grouping Test
General Knowledge (GK)
This section is aimed at checking the general knowledge of the candidates. Students must keep themselves regularly updated to ace this section. Let us have a look at a few of the important highlights relating to this section-
- Questions from the topic like history, politics, Business, Economy, Current affairs, International Affairs, etc.
- The difficulty level is expected to be moderate.
- 25 questions will be asked from this section.
- No negative marking will be there for this section, so students can also use guesswork.
- Most of the questions from this section are asked from current affairs and less from general knowledge.
- 15 minutes are allotted to solve this section.
Important Topics from this section are-
- International Relations
- Merger and acquisition
- Film and Television
- Science and Technology
- National Issues
- Government Schemes
Quantitative Aptitude & Data Interpretation (QA AND DI)
Preparations Tips and Do/ Don’ts while attempting
- While attempting this section in the XAT exam students need to manage their time prudently. You should avoid getting stuck on questions that appear hard to you and must move on to the next questions.
- While preparing it is necessary that you thoroughly go through question XAT previous year papers, to be well acquainted with the XAT paper pattern and the types of questions that are asked.
- For you to master this section start by working on your basics. As mentioned earlier, questions in this section are based on 10th level mathematics.
- If you have mastered the basics you would find it easier to breeze through this section.
- The approximate time that you should devote to the examination for each question should be three minutes. So while practising students must strive to solve each question within 2=2.5 minutes.
- Students must devote more time to topics like algebra, arithmetic and geometry as more questions are expected to be asked from this section.
- Quantitative Aptitude for Competitive Examination by RS Aggarwal
- How to prepare for Data Interpretation by Arun Sharma
- Fast Track Objective Arithmetic(Arihant) by Rajesh Verma
- Data interpretation for CAT by Nishit K Sinha
Verbal Ability And Logical Reasoning
Some Last Minute Preparations Tips
- To ace this verbal ability and reading comprehension, you must develop a regular habit of reading. Try getting your hands on periodicals, novels, and non-fiction.
- If you find it tedious to read newspapers try reading about topics that particularly interest you, as it would help to develop a strong command of the English language.
- You can start reading easier essays and can gradually climb up to harder ones.
- You should not devote too much time to reading comprehension, and try to not get stuck on this section and wasting your time.
- Another alternative to reading could be watching good television shows or English movies.
- Verbal Ability Comprehension for CAT/ XAT/ IIFT/ CMAT/ MAT by Bharta Patodi and Aditya Chaudary
- Study Notes Material On XAT Paperback – 2016 by Sorav Sir’s Class
Decision Making (DM)
Tips for solving Decision Making –
- Students must strive to opt for the most ethical choice while answering this section,
- Decisions that can prove harmful to others or decisions only providing short term solutions should be avoided.
- You should try to solve as many mock tests as possible and carefully analyse every question.
- Your technique while solving these questions must involve striking out all the wrong or improbable answers.
- Don’t allow your personal and political views to hinder your thought process.
- You must learn to approach the questions from an objective point of view.
- You must avoid making decisions that are motivated emotionally rather than being practicable.
- Target XAT 2017 by Disha Experts
General Knowledge (GK)
Preparation tips for GK
- Students must make a habit of regularly reading newspapers and periodical magazines.
- Another viable option to reading newspapers could be various mobile apps that provide news in short for a good XAT score.
- While attempting the paper students must avoid getting stuck and could apply guesswork as there is no negative marking for this section.
- Students must acquaint themselves with basic world geography which can be easily achieved by regular analysis of maps.
- More emphasis should be laid on current affairs rather than GK as most questions are asked from current affairs.
- Manorama Yearbook
- Objective General Knowledge by Sanjeev Kumar
- Lucent’s General Knowledge
NOTE- Students must purchase the most recent books when preparing for this section.
XAT 2021 Admit Card
The admit card for XAT will be released on 20th, December 2020. Students must download the admit card and carry a physical copy of the same while appearing for the examination.
Highlights for XAT admit card-
|Admit Card Release Date||20th, December 2021|
|Last Date To Download||Day Of The Examination|
|Download Link Will Be Available On||xatonline.in|
|Details Required To Download Admit Card||Registration Number And Password/Dob|
How to download XAT admit card
Let us have a detailed look at all the steps for downloading the admit card-
- Visit official XAT website- xatonline.in
- Click on the link provided for XLRI log in.
- Enter your user Id and password.
- After filling in all the details, admit cards are available for download.
- Take a print out and keep multiple copies of the same.
Details provided in the Admit Card
- Applicant’s Name
- XAT exam date.
- Exam time
- Details/address of your XAT exam centre.
- Instructions for taking the examination.’
- Space will be provided for Passport size photographs and signature.
- Space for invigilators' signature.
NOTE- Students appearing for the examination, must carefully read all the instructions provided in the admit card and strictly adhere to them. Owing to the current pandemic many special instructions will also be provided.
XAT Test centres
XAT 2022 will be held in 72 test centres all over India. Candidates will be asked to choose several test centres in order of preference while applying. The test centre where the candidate has to take the test will be mentioned on the admit card and the allotment will be final and irreversible. We have listed the test centres below in alphabetical order.
Bokaro Steel City
Candidates can check their XAT 2022 results and download scorecards on the official website. To download the scorecard candidates need to enter the XAT ID and Password. After the results are declared cutoffs at XLRI and other colleges accepting XAT scores will be released.
Based on the cutoffs, the shortlisted candidates will be called for the GD/PI round. The final selection will be done by taking into account the cumulative score obtained by a candidate in XAT, GD and PI. Some colleges also conduct an additional Written Ability Test in the final round.
We have listed below the steps you need to follow to check your XAT 2022 score and download the scorecard for future reference.
How to download XAT results?
- Go to the official website of XAT
- On the top right corner click on the login option
- Enter XAT ID and Password to log in
- Click on the scorecard icon
- Enter your registration number and Password/DoB and submit
- Your scorecard will be visible and available for download
Students must meticulously prepare for each of the sections i.e. Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension, Decision Making, General Knowledge, and Quantitative Aptitude. One must focus carefully on each of these sections keeping in mind all the important subtopics. Persistence is the key; so students must keep on regularly practising previous year question papers and mock tests. Online learning can also prove to be of great use. Students must keep referring to ongoing news and current affairs. While practising mock tests students also must calculate their scores and also keep track of the time. One must learn to strategize while attempting XAT mock tests. Try to not get disheartened by initial results as a constant practice can fetch you much better results. One can also start by solving questions which are of relatively easier difficulty level and could eventually climb its way upward. Moreover, one must carefully read all the instructions provided in the question paper.
Sunstone is a leading higher education service provider that works with academic institutions in up-skilling students for employability. Sunstone offers career oriented training interventions for undergraduate and postgraduate students at 30+ institutions across 25 cities.
Sunstone’s training programs are industry endorsed to enhance employability. These programs are designed for hybrid delivery with unparalleled focus on soft skills and personality development. Sunstone’s focus is to provide students with holistic educational experience.
- Difference Between PGDM VS MBA
- Frequently asked GD/PI questions
- Worth of an MBA degree under threat?
- Do business school rankings really matter?
- How will Coronavirus Affect The Job Market?
FAQs related to XAT exam
What is XAT exam?
When can I apply for XAT 2022?
Is XAT a good exam?