5800 students unlocked their dream jobs with UG/PG programs in top colleges. Apply Now!
Automobile Engineering is a branch of Mechanical Engineering that deals with the design, manufacture, and maintenance of automobiles, including cars, trucks, buses, and motorcycles. Automobile engineers work to improve the performance, fuel efficiency, and safety of vehicles, and they are involved in every aspect of the vehicle development process, from initial concept and design to testing and production.
A B.Tech degree in automobile engineering covers various aspects of vehicle design, development, and production, including powertrain design, vehicle dynamics and control systems, suspension and steering systems, brake systems, interior and exterior design, and manufacturing processes.
Automobile Engineers use principles of mechanical, electrical, and materials engineering, as well as computer-aided design (CAD) and computer-aided manufacturing (CAM) tools, to create vehicles that meet the needs of consumers. The demand for automobile engineers is growing, especially as the industry shifts towards electric and autonomous vehicles.
[Also read: why choose B.Tech?]
Scope of Automobile Engineering as a Career
Automobile Engineering is a highly rewarding career for those interested in the design, development, and manufacture of vehicles and related products. As an automobile engineer, you will have the opportunity to work on cutting-edge technologies and innovations that have a real-world impact on society.
You will also have the chance to use your technical skills, creativity, and problem-solving abilities to contribute to the design, testing, and production of safer, more efficient, and more environmentally friendly vehicles.
The demand for automobile engineers is strong and growing as the automotive industry continues to evolve and expand. This growth is driven by a number of factors, including the development of new technologies such as electric vehicles, self-driving cars, and connected vehicles, as well as increased consumer demand for safer, more efficient, and more sustainable vehicles.
Eligibility to Pursue Automobile Engineering in India
A BTech degree in automobile engineering can equip students with engineering skills that can further their career graph and offer a rewarding trajectory.
- Minimum Qualification: You must have passed 10+2 or equivalent examinations with Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics as compulsory subjects.
- Minimum Percentage: You must have secured a minimum aggregate percentage of marks in the qualifying examination, as specified by the university or institute you are applying to.
- Entrance Exam: Some universities may require you to take a national-level engineering entrance exam, such as the Joint Entrance Examination (JEE) or the Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE), to be considered for admission to their automobile engineering program.
Admission process for Automobile Engineering
- Applying to the college: You need to search for colleges that offer automobile engineering courses and fill out their application form.
- Meeting eligibility criteria: Most colleges have specific eligibility criteria that you need to meet, such as having a minimum percentage in 10+2 or equivalent.
- Taking an entrance exam: Some colleges may require you to take an entrance exam for admission to the BTech automobile engineering course. The exams can be national-level, such as JEE Main, or college-specific.
- Appearing for a personal interview: Some colleges also conduct a personal interview to assess the student's aptitude and interest in the course.
- Merit-based admission: The college will prepare a merit list and offer admission to eligible candidates based on their performance in the entrance exam and personal interview.
Automobile Engineering Syllabus
Technical English - I
Mathematics - I
Engineering Physics - I
Engineering Chemistry - I
Fundamentals of Computing and Programming
Technical English – II
Mathematics – II
Engineering Physics – II
Engineering Chemistry – II
Basic Electrical & Electronics Engineering
Transforms And Partial Differential Equations
Fluid Mechanics and Machinery
Mechanics of Machines
Statistics And Numerical Methods
Applied Thermodynamics and Heat Transfer
Engineering Materials and Metallurgy
Strength of Materials
Electronics and Microprocessors
Environmental Science and Engineering
Design of Machine Elements
Automotive Electrical and Electronics
Vehicle Design and Data Characteristics
Automotive Fuels and Lubricants
Principles of Management
Automotive Engine Components Design
Automotive Chassis Components Design
Two and Three Wheelers
Finite Element Analysis
Engine and Vehicle Management System
Automotive Pollution and Control
Vehicle Body Engineering
The Best Colleges To Study Automobile Engineering
The BTech course in automobile engineering at IIT Delhi aims to provide students with a strong foundation in the design, development, and manufacture of automobiles, as well as a deep understanding of related technologies such as powertrain systems, materials, and manufacturing processes.
Duration: 4 years
Fees: ₹3.6 Lakhs
Sathyabama University, Chennai
Sathyabama University, offers an undergraduate program in automobile engineering, which aims to provide students with a comprehensive education in the design, development, and manufacture of automobiles.
Duration: 4 years
Fees: ₹2 Lakhs
PSG College of Engineering, Coimbatore
PSG College of Technology, Coimbatore (PSG College of Engineering) is a private engineering college located in Coimbatore, India. It offers an undergraduate program in automobile engineering, which covers various aspects of automobile engineering, including powertrain systems, materials and manufacturing processes, vehicle dynamics, and control
Duration: 4 years
Fees: ₹2.2 Lakhs
Careers after Automobile Engineering
- Automotive design engineer: Involved in the design and development of automobiles and their components. (Average annual salary ₹4.5 Lakhs)
- Automotive testing engineer: Conducts tests on automobiles and their components to ensure they meet industry standards and requirements. (Average annual salary ₹5 Lakhs)
- Production and manufacturing engineer: Works on improving production processes, equipment, and quality control. (Average annual salary ₹3 Lakhs)
- Sales and marketing professional: Works with auto manufacturers, dealerships, and distributors to promote and sell vehicles. (Average annual salary ₹3.2 Lakhs)
- Service and maintenance engineer: Works on the maintenance and repair of vehicles and their components. (Average annual salary ₹3.3 Lakhs)
- Research and development engineer: Works on the development of new and innovative automobile technology. (Average annual salary ₹4.2 Lakhs)
- Supply chain and procurement manager: Works on sourcing, purchasing, and managing supplies for automotive production. (Average annual salary ₹13.3 Lakhs)
- Technical writer: Writes technical reports, manuals, and articles related to automobiles and their components. (Average annual salary ₹4.7 Lakhs)
Pursuing a career in automobile engineering presents a unique opportunity to be a part of an industry that is at the forefront of innovation and change. The automobile industry is constantly evolving, with new technologies and design concepts being developed every day. With the increasing emphasis on electric and self-driving cars, there is also a growing demand for professionals who deeply understand these technologies.
While you pursue your degree in Automobile engineering, you may also want to learn other skills that complement your knowledge in the concerned field. For such needs, you can count on Sunstone. Once you register with Sunstone, you get access to advanced certifications and industry-aligned training modules.
FAQ - Automobile Engineering
What is the salary of an automobile engineer?
An automobile engineer can have various job roles and responsibilities in an automobile company. Depending on their roles and responsibilities, automobile engineers can earn in the range of ₹3 Lakhs to ₹19.3 Lakhs per year.
Is getting a diploma in automobile engineering worthwhile?
A diploma in automobile engineering has tremendous potential. It may not draw you a higher remuneration like a B.Tech degree, but it imparts all the necessary knowledge required to land a job in one of the top automobile companies in India.