BSc. Stands for Bachelor of Science. B.Sc is one of the most sought-after undergraduate courses for students from the Science stream. This three-year program specializes students in major areas of science including physics, chemistry, zoology, biology, and mathematics. Apart from this, there are several specializations and fields available within this course.
Students can enrol for B.Sc after completing their 12th grade. The admissions to B. Sc colleges in India are available both based on merit and entrance exam.
Considering the rapid growth in science and technology, demand for the B.Sc. program has increased in India. Pursuing this course offers students a good return on investment. It opens up doors to lucrative career opportunities. They can either go for higher academic qualifications such as Master's in Science (M.Sc.), or other professional courses. Also, they can take up a research or job in any of the MNC's soon after the completion of the course.
About BSc Course
The duration of the B.Sc. program in India is 3 years. This is an undergraduate degree designed for students who have opted for the science stream at their school level. The most popular fields of specialization in this course are biology, physics, applied science, mathematics, agriculture, animation, etc.
Let us find out some key facts about Bsc courses in India:
- This program is tailor-made for students who aspire to make their career in core science and research-based industries like manufacturing, pharmaceuticals, healthcare, and IT.
- In addition to the science stream, B.Sc. also has Arts and Commerce specializations like Economics, Statistics, etc.
- The B.Sc. course is offered under two different categories - Bsc General and BSc Honours. The Hons degree focuses on one particular subject area and is more rigorous as compared to a general degree. You can opt to pursue any as the eligibility criteria for both courses are the same.
- Students opting for B.Sc degree program are also eligible for various government, universities, organizations, and colleges sponsored scholarships, which include HDFC Educational Crisis Scholarship Support (ECSS), INSPIRE, Kishore Vaigyanik Protsahan Yojana (KVPY), Narotam Sekhsaria Scholarship Programme, Promotion of Science Education (POSE), etc.
- Post-B.Sc., students can opt for higher qualifications like they can pursue Master of Science (MSc), Master's of Business Administration (MBA), or PhD (Doctor of Philosophy).
BSc Course Details
|Full-Form||Bachelor of Science|
|BSc duration||3 Years|
|Age||No age bar|
|Minimum Eligibility||50% in 12th class from a recognized board|
|Admission||Through Merit Lists and Entrance Exams|
|Entrance Exams||IISER, UPSEE, KCET, etc.|
|Average Salary||INR 3-5 LPA|
|Recommended Colleges||Delhi University, Madras Christian College, Stella Maris College, Presidency University, Christ University, etc.|
|Top Employment Roles||Lecturer, Lab Chemist, Anesthesiologist, Biology Researcher, Scientist, Scientist Assistant, Research Analyst, Laboratory Technician, Chemist, Statistician, Professor, etc.|
Why Pursue a BSc?
B.Sc is a prestigious course that offers students extensive support for a bright future. Here are several reasons that make this course a preferred career option.
- A lot of Career Opportunities: As the B.Sc program is available for several specializations across different fields, it encapsulates a lot of opportunities for aspirants. After acquiring a Bsc degree students have the option to establish their career in different segments.
- Viable Career Benefits: In contrast to other streams, the average package offered to aspirants with a BSc degree is relatively higher. Moreover, the progressive development in science and technology and increasing globalization is increasing opportunities for Bsc graduates, thereby making it a viable career choice.
- Pathway to Further Education: Post BSc course completion, students have the option to acquire post-secondary stage education in their respective fields, as they can go for MSc or PhD. Or if they want to switch to other areas of study then they can opt for MBA.
Who should do a BSc?
Any student who fulfils the below-mentioned criteria can pursue BSc:
- Should have scored minimum 50% marks or equal CGPA in class 12th from a recognized board.
- Students willing to take up BSc should have a good level of interest in core science subjects.
- Students hailing from science and mathematics backgrounds make the ideal candidate for the BSc course.
- Students are interested to take up multi/interdisciplinary science career paths.
BSc Eligibility Criteria
- Candidates must have passed/appeared for the class 12 examination.
- Candidates should score at least 50% in class 12th from a recognized board. Some institutes may also ask for 60% aggregate.
- Candidates with a (PCM/B ) background at their higher secondary level.
- Generally, there is no specified age limit to enrol for a BSc course, unless defined in an institution's own eligibility criteria.
BSc Admission Process
Admissions to BSc courses are available through two different modes - merit or entrance exam. In merit-based admissions, the institute publishes a merit score based on its course-wise cut-off aggregate. Students who meet this cutoff criterion are eligible for admission.
In entrance-based, the institute conducts its own online or offline entrance exam. Students who qualify for this entrance exam are eligible for admissions.
The admission process, however, is likely to differ from college to college.
Required Skills for BSc
Some of the skills that BSc aspirants must possess to succeed in their professional career are:
- Research skills.
- Observation skills.
- Quantitative Analysis.
- Interpersonal skills.
- Experimental skills.
- Good technical knowledge.
- Effective communication skills.
- Mathematical and computational skills.
- Computer and relevant software knowledge.
- Ability to work under strict deadlines.
Here are top BSc specializations from different fields:
- BSc Physics
- BSc Chemistry
- BSc Computer Science
- BSc Nursing
- BSc Mathematics
- BSc Agriculture
- BSc Biotechnology
- BSc Microbiology
- BSc Information Technology
BSc Course List
|BSc Environmental Science||BSc Geology|
|BSc Animation||BSc Geography|
|BSc Fashion Design||BSc Economics|
|BSc Hospitality||BSc Zoology|
|BSc Biochemistry||BSc Botany|
|BSc Aeronautical Science||BSc Biological Science|
|BSc Actuarial Science||BSc Electronics|
|BSc Anthropology||BSc Food Technology|
|BSc Forensic Sciences||BSc Instrumentation|
|BSc Psychology||BSc Physiology|
|BSc Geology||BSc Horticulture Science|
|BSc Physical Education||BSc Physiotherapy|
|BSc Forestry||BSc Optometry|
BSC Entrance Exams in India
BSc aspirants have to undergo several national levels, state level, and institution level entrance exams to secure their admissions in the top colleges.
Here are some of the popular BSc entrance exams conducted all over India.
|Exam Name||Conducting Body|
|NEST (National Entrance Screening Test)||National Institute of Science Education Research (NISER) & Mumbai University|
|BHU UET||Banaras Hindu University|
|NPAT||Narsee Monjee University|
|CUCET||Conducted by 10 central universities jointly|
|JET||Jain University, Bangalore.|
|IISER||Indian Institutes of Science Education and Research|
|AIEEA||Indian Council of Agricultural Research|
BSc Entrance Exam Syllabus
The syllabus for the BSc entrance exam differs from institute to institute. Since these exams have different conducting bodies, their syllabus is different and depends on the area of specialization it is meant for. For example, an entrance exam for Bsc nursing will have a different syllabus than a Bsc entrance exam for physics.
However, most entrance exams have MCQ type format and consist of 10+2 level questions along with general knowledge questions.
Top Colleges for Bsc in India
Here is the list of top BSc Colleges in India as per the NIRF ranking.
|NIRF Ranking||College Name||Fees||Placement record||Nearby hangout spot||Accreditation|
|1||Miranda House New Delhi||18590-19490||7.47 Lakh per annum||Mamas Buoi, Housefull restaurant||Grade A+ with 3.61 CGPA|
|2||Lady Shri Ram College Delhi||64,320||5 Lakh per annum||Select Citywalk and DLF Place, South Extension Market||Grade A with 3.61 CGPA|
|3||Hindu College||60,347||8.4 Lakh per annum||38 Barracks, Central Park||A+ Grade with 3.60 CGPA|
|4||St. Stephen’s College||42,000-43,000||10 Lakh||Farzi Cafe, Kamla Nagar Market||Grade A with 3.21 CGPA|
|5||Presidency College, Chennai||3,795||1-2 Lakh per annum||Queensland, Marina Beach||Grade B++ with 2.58 CGPA|
|6||Loyola College, Chennai||34,380-50,310||3.9 Lakh per annum||Panagal Park, Spencer Plaza Complex||Grade A with 3.79 CGPA|
|7||St, Xaviers College, Kolkata||60,500||5-6 Lakh per annum||Delights, The Sushi Oke||Grade A++ with 3.77 CGPA|
|7||Ramakrishna Mission Vidyamandira||33,000||5-8 Lakh per annum||Belur Math, Big Tree Cafe||Grade A+ with 3.120 CGPA|
|9||Hans Raj College||20,9003-5 Lakh||per annum||Food Workshop, Dunkin Donuts||Grade A+ with 3.62 CGPA|
|11||Rama Krishna Mission Vivekananda Centenary College||10,420-15,420||3 Lakh per annum||The Beanshot Cafe, Downtown Cafe||Grade A with 3.14 CGPA|
Courses after BSc
There are several courses that BSc graduates can opt for after their degree completion. These are MSc, MCA, MBA, MS, PGDM, and many more.
Master of Science, popularly known as MSc is a post-graduate full-time program with a two-year course duration. This course is specially designed for candidates having a science background, and thus offers specializations in scientific and mathematical streams. To seek admission to MSc. program there are both options merit-based as well as entrance exams.
- Popular MSc entrance exams - DU JAT, IPU CET, BHU UET, NPAT, UPSEE, etc.
- Job Options - Lab Manager, Data Scientist, Regulatory Affairs Specialist, Research Scientist, Project Assistant, Clinical Research Specialist, Pharma Associate, etc.
- Average course fee - INR 6,000 - 1,10,000
- The average salary offered - INR 8.5 lakhs per annum.
Top MSc Colleges in India - Jawaharlal Nehru University, Banaras Hindu University, Jadavpur University, Mumbai University, etc.
Masters of Business Administration or MBA is a two-year postgraduate course that deals with business administration, HR management, finance, marketing, sales, customer services, etc. MBA is one of the highest pursued courses in India and has immense job opportunities across multiple areas.
- Popular MBA entrance exams - XAT, CAT, MAT, GMAT, CMAT, ATMA, NMAT, SNAP, etc.
- Job Options - Human Resources Manager, Business Analyst (IT), Financial Analyst, Senior Sales Executive, Management Consultant, etc.
- Average Course Fee - INR 3 lakhs - 10 lakhs per annum.
- Average Salary offered - INR 8,00,000 – INR 20,00,000.
- Top MBA colleges in India - IIM Ahmedabad, IIM Bangalore, IIM Calcutta, etc.
Masters in Computer Application or MCA is a two-year post-graduate program that focuses on different elements of computer programs including application software, computer architecture, operating systems, etc.
- MCA entrance exams - UPSEE, IPU CET, TANCET, etc.
- Job Options - Web Developer, Software Developer, Systems Analyst, Network Administrator, etc.
- Average Course Fee - INR 30,000- INR 200,000.
- Average Salary offered - INR 2LPA to INR 6LPA.
- Top MBA colleges in India - University of Hyderabad, Hyderabad, Calcutta University, Kolkata, Anna University, Chennai, etc.
Jobs & Salary after BSc
BSc graduates get excellent job opportunities after their course completion. Depending on their subject of specialization, they can find jobs across different sectors. Thus, they have the flexibility to opt for their preferred job role in their industry of interest.
Given below are top job profiles with their approximate average salary.
|Job Profile||Job Description||Average Salary|
|Lecturer||A lecturer is responsible to conduct research, planning, and preparing lesson plans to teach and guide students.||INR 2-4 LPA|
|Technical Writer/Editor||The role of technical writers/editors involves developing manuals, journal articles, and other documentation for purpose of communicating and disseminating the technical information to stakeholders involved in a simpler format.||INR 3-5 LPA|
|Clinical Research Associate||Clinical research associate deals with the accumulation and organization of data findings made during field trials. These professionals are responsible to analyse and process the results of long-term drugs testing, medical products, and procedures.||INR 4-5 LPA|
|Research/ Project Assistant/ Junior Scientist|
A research/ project assistant works under the guidance of primary researchers who carry out research. These individuals assist the researchers in performing a number of tasks and are appointed for research in an institution or a research lab.
|INR 2.5-3 LPA|
|Consultant||A consultant's role is to guide an organization in the right direction through his/her strategic advice on major areas including Business, Operations, Management, etc.||INR 3.5-5 LPA|
|Drug Safety Associate||A drug safety associate works in the medical or pharmaceutical industry and his/her primary role is to evaluate, monitor the safety of drugs so that patients don't face reactions.||INR 2-3 LPA|
Top Recruiters for a BSc
Listed below are top companies hiring BSc graduates:
|Gharda Chemicals||Reliance Industries Limited|
B.Sc. is one of the most selective courses by those students who have taken the science stream. If you want to proceed with your master’s in a science career, it is suggested to go for B.Sc. If you do not have any opportunity in the specific segment until you do a Masters or PhD, opt for a BSc course.
Frequently Asked Questions
Which BSc specialization is the best?
What is the eligibility for a BSc?
The candidate must have passed high school with an aggregate of 50% or over.
The Candidate must have completed his/her higher secondary level with a science background.
What is the process of admission for a BSc?
What is the duration of a BSc?
What are BSc Courses?
BSc Computer Science
BSc Information Technology
Why should I do a BSc?
Does BSc have entrance exams?
What can I do after a BSc?
When it comes to the job after BSc. there are ample opportunities, both in the public and private sectors. The common job roles you can get after BSc are :