5800 students unlocked their dream jobs with UG/PG programs in top colleges. Apply Now!
BTech Mechanical Engineering: Admission, Colleges, Admission and Exams
BTech Mechanical Engineering is for students who are not afraid of getting their hands dirty in order to build or fix something. But will getting a BTech degree in mechanical engineering fix you a prosperous career?
In this blog, we will talk about admission, colleges, exams and the highest-paying engineering jobs for mechanical engineers.
BTech Mechanical Engineering Quick Facts
Here is a table showing you some basic information about Mechanical Engineering.
4 years / 8 Semesters
Passed 12th from a recognised board with Science stream (Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics)
Entrance exams / Merit-based
Top Recruiting Companies
General Electric Co (GE), BMW, Ford Motor Company, General Motors Corporation, Larsen and Toubro Ltd, Caterpillar, Inc.
Design Engineer, Mechanical Engineer, Project Engineer, Mechanical Design Engineer, Production Engineer etc.
₹3,00,000 to ₹15,00,000
Average Starting Salary
₹4,00,000 to ₹6,00,000 per annum
Should I Study BTech Mechanical Engineering?
Most students who pursue BTech in Mechanical Engineering are passionate about engines of all sorts. But this may not be the only driving force for aspiring students wanting to take this course. So, to add to the list, here are some reasons to pursue this course.
- Mechanical Engineering offers a reputed and prosperous career path.
- BTech Mechanical Engineering graduates get good average packages in both private and public sectors.
- Mechanical Engineering graduates get diverse career opportunities in Law, Management, Mechanical Designing, and other fields. You can also sit for competitive examinations to get jobs in Government organisations.
- Salary packages could range from ₹4,00,000 to ₹6,00,000, depending on the candidate's expertise in the field.
- Students can also go for post-graduation courses, such as M.Tech. and Master of Engineering (M.E.), after completing their BTech degree.
BTech Mechanical Engineering Admission Process
Government colleges admit mechanical engineering students based on JEE Main and JEE Advanced marks. JEE Main and JEE Advanced are the most popular entrance exams in India for engineering. Many private institutes conduct their examinations but also give weightage to JEE ranks. Here is how to apply for admission —
- Registration: Visit the college website and create an account by entering basic details — email-id, phone number etc.
- Application Form: Fill in the application form with all required details, and make sure you give out the correct information.
- Documents Uploading: Scan and upload documents like mark sheets, your signature, and photographs. Also, make sure you follow the guidelines.
- Payment of Application Fees: Pay the application fees online — using UPI, Debit card, or Bank transfer — or offline.
Once you have followed the above steps, wait for your admit card. College authorities release admit cards after judging the candidate’s eligibility. Download the admit card when it is available, as you must carry it on the day of the examination.
Eligibility for BTech Mechanical Engineering
- Candidates must have cleared their 10+2 level examinations with at least 50%, and above
- Candidates must have Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics as compulsory subjects in their 10+2 level.
- Candidates having a 3-year Diploma in the related field from a recognised university are also eligible to apply for Lateral Entry admissions.
Entrance Exams for BTech Mechanical Engineering
- JEE MAIN
- JEE ADVANCED
- MHT CET
BTech in Mechanical Engineering Syllabus
The syllabus of BTech in mechanical engineering is spread across 4 years and 8 semesters. Here is a year-wise list (not in any particular order) of mechanical engineering BTech subjects.
- Environmental Studies
- Electrical Technology
- Engineering Materials
- Introduction to Information Technology
- Engineering Graphics
- Modern Biology
- Value Education & HR
- Electronics & Instrumentation
- Practical Sessions
- Engineering Mechanics
- Applied Thermodynamics
- Material Technology
- Dynamics of Machinery
- Manufacturing Processes
- Fluid Mechanics
- Mechanics of Solids
- Electrical Machines & Control
- Metrology & Instrumentation
- Theory of Machines
- Numerical & Statistical Methods
- Industrial Drafting & Machine Design
- Practical Sessions
- Heat and Mass Transfer
- Computer-Aided Design (CAD)
- Industrial Engineering & Management
- Control Engineering
- Internal Combustion Engines
- Production Technology
- Advanced Solid Mechanics
- Mechanical Vibration
- Thermal Engineering
- Advanced Mechanical Engineering Design
- Law for Engineers
- Power Plant Engineering
- Practical Sessions
- Mini projects
- Energy Conservation
- Measurement & Instrumentation
- Waste Heat Utilisation
- Fracture Mechanics
- Utilisation of Non-Conventional Energy
- Maintenance Engineering
- Operations Research
- Production & Industrial Management
- Mechanical Handling Equipment
- Project Work
- Organisational Behaviour
- Summer Training
- Practical Sessions
Best Colleges for BTech in Mechanical Engineering
To help you find the top BTech mechanical engineering colleges in India, we are listing the top ones.
- IITs (Madras, Bombay, Delhi, Roorkee, Kanpur, Kharagpur,
- NIT (Durgapur, Rourkela)
- Vellore Institute of Technology (VIT), Vellore
- SRM University, Chennai
- RV College of Engineering, Bangalore
- Chaitanya (Deemed-to-be) University, Warangal
- Global Institute of Technology and Management, Gurgaon
- SAGE University, Bhopal and Indore
- NHSM Knowledge Campus, Durgapur
What Type of Jobs to Expect After BTech Mechanical Engineering?
BTech mechanical engineering jobs include Service Engineer, Mechanical Engineer, Instructional Designer, Consultant, Mechanical Designer, etc. The average salary package for fresh graduates is usually in the range of ₹3,00,000 - ₹6,00,000.
And one more thing, we have a blog on BE vs BTech, which will help you decide whether to choose B.E. or BTech.
Civil Engineer Salary: FAQs
- What can I do after completion of BTech Mechanical Engineering?
After completing BTech Mechanical Engineering, you can start your career as a Service Engineer, Instructional Designer, Consultant, Mechanical Designer, etc.
- What is the course duration of BTech Mechanical Engineering program?
BTech Mechanical Engineering is a 4-year programme.
- What is the scope of BTech Mechanical Engineering?
Jobs for mechanical engineers include Service Engineer, Instructional Designer, Consultant, Mechanical Designer, etc. The average salary package for fresh graduates is usually in the range of ₹3,00,000 - ₹6,00,000.
If you wish to ensure better employability and a higher pay scale, you can sign up for Sunstone Edge. At Sunstone, we prepare you for a holistic educational experience and a successful future in your chosen field. With industry integration, internships, projects, personality and soft skills development, upskilling and training interventions, we help you gain the relevant industry knowledge so that you are better prepared to tackle the challenges of your chosen industry.
For more details, get in touch with us.