In the past two decades, the world has seen a huge evolution in the career choices of people. There was a time when only doctors, engineers, and corporates were considered careers; however, the mindset of the people has now evolved. People have started pursuing various innovative career options like gaming, animations, graphic designing, etc. and are gaining a lot of popularity and success in their respective industries.
Many industries and companies experienced the negative impact of COVID-19, but a few industries, like entertainment, gaming, etc., bloomed. Surveys and reports show that there is an increase in demand for new gaming content in the market in the post-COVID era and as per predictions made by experts, the worth of the gaming industry will be more than five times than today.
To become a part of this industry and attain, one has to be qualified. Bachelor's in Computer Application (BCA) is an ideal option for students interested in gaming and want to pursue it as a career.
BCA gaming and graphics is an undergraduate program offering students expertise in computer applications like programming languages, web developments, etc. Students pursuing BCA can choose from various specialisation options like Artificial Intelligence, Big Analytics Data, Database Management System, Cyber Security, Cloud Computing, Animation and Gaming, etc.
Students enrolling themselves in the program are offered various opportunities. The job position and payouts depend on the skills and choices of the student. These roles include animators, game developers, testers, and many more. As the demand for new games is increasing in the market, the requirement for employees is also increasing.
What are BCA Gaming and Animations?
Bachelor of Computer Applications is a three-year degree program for students interested in computer applications and languages. This degree offers the candidates many opportunities in both the private and public sectors. The course syllabus is highly flexible and helps students gain expertise in fields of information technology. The degree aims at turning students into professionals with various analytical skills.
BCA in gaming and animation is one of the specialisations offered in the degree. The specialisation includes topics related to game designs, game development, and game coding at a master level. The assignments and tasks allocated in the class focus on theoretical knowledge and adding value to the student’s professional portfolio.
Through animation, students gain knowledge about the animation production pipeline which includes modelling, lighting, rendering, texturing, and rigging techniques. Institutes try to teach the students through project-based assessment as it increases their chance of employability.
Objectives of BCA in Gaming and Animation
The educational objectives of the BCA in gaming and graphics are:
- Offering detailed knowledge of computer science fundamentals so that the students can build a good career in the computer science industry.
- Inculcating the ethics and morals of the computing profession in students. This also involves imparting values regarding the social responsibility of the career.
- Teaching the students the use of technology and equipment for better practical knowledge.
- Enhancing the students' analytical skills that would help them tackle real-life issues in their careers.
- Development of soft skills like communication, leadership, and other interpersonal skillsets that would teach the students the importance of teamwork.
Key Highlights of the BCA in Gaming and Animation Specialisation
The key highlights of the BCA in gaming and animation specialisation are:
- Programming skills related to gamification, gaming elements and setup
- Studying and publishing of gaming and animation landscapes on PCs, iPhones, androids and other hardware devices
- Practical knowledge of system configuration to work easily with graphic stimulation at high level
- Balanced combination of computer science, management, and other professional skills.
- Enhancement of the innovative and creative side of the students
- Project-based assessments with industry exposure
Basic Learning Outcomes of BCA in Gaming and Animation
All the skills required in the gaming and animation industry are included in the syllabus of the BCA degree. Some of the main topics that the students learn are -
- Animation, Principles of Animation, Features of Animation
- Development of Game Animation, Character Setup, Basics of Lighting, and Rendering
- Creation of 2D and 3D games through various platforms
- Master-level coding in C#.
- Production Workflow from 3Ds Max to Unity
Eligibility Criteria to get BCA in Gaming and Animation
- Relevant interest in coding, programming, and computer science.
- Class 10+2 completed with a minimum of 50% from a recognised board.
- Basic knowledge of the IT field.
- Entrance exams scores (as per institute requirement)
Top Colleges Entrance exams for BCA in Gaming and Animation
Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University
Kalinga Institute of Industrial Technology
Jawaharlal Nehru University
Symbiosis Entrance Test
Christ University Entrance Exam
Top BCA Colleges in India
Here is a list of top Indian colleges to pursue BCA in gaming and graphics in India:
- Christ University, Bangalore
- Symbiosis Institute of Computer Studies, Pune
- Loyola College, Chennai
- Kristu Jayanti College, Bengaluru
- Amity Institution of Information Technology, Noida
- Stells Maris College, Chennai
- Maharaja Surajmal Institute, Delhi
Distance Learning Colleges for BCA in Gaming and Animation
Students who have full-time or part-time jobs can pursue BCA degree through distance learning programs. Following colleges in the country offer distance learning programs in BCA -
- Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU)
- University of Madras Institute of Distance Education
- Cognitive Institute of Interdisciplinary Studies
- Nalanda Open University
- Amity School of Open Learning
BCA Career Opportunities for Students
There are various BCA career opportunities available for students after specialising in Gaming and Animation -
- Game Artist 2D & 3D
- Game Tester
- Rigging Artist
- Game Designer
- Game Programmer
- Project Manager
- Software Developer
- Web Manager
Enrol yourself in Bachelor of Computer Applications program from top colleges with Sunstone‘s edge to pursue a career in gaming and graphics without any hassle.
Sunstone is a leading higher education services provider that works with academic institutions in upskilling students for employability. Sunstone offers career-oriented training interventions for undergraduate and postgraduate students at 40+ institutions across 30+ cities.
Sunstone’s training programs are industry-endorsed to enhance employability. These programs are designed for hybrid delivery with an unparalleled focus on soft skills and personality development. Sunstone’s focus is to provide students with a holistic educational experience.
Can a BCA student get a job in the gaming industry?
Yes, a BCA student can easily get a job in the gaming industry, the only condition being the specialisation of the student must be gaming and animation. BCA in gaming and animation trains the students to be a professional and secure a job in the gaming industry.
What job can a BCA student get?
A student with BCA in gaming and animation specialisation degree can get job roles like a game designer, game programmer, project manager, game tester, rigging artist, etc.
What are the average fees of a BCA degree?
The average fees for a BCA degree with gaming and animation specialisation range between Rs. 90,000 to Rs. 1,50,000 in India.
What is the range of salary offered to a BCA student with a gaming and animation specialisation?
The annual salary package offered to a BCA in gaming and animation specialisation students ranges between Rs. 3-6 lakhs. The salary package depends on various factors like job profile, candidate’s experience, portfolio, etc.; however, there is a huge scope of growth in the gaming industry in coming years.
What courses can I pursue after BCA?
Students can pursue various courses like MCA, PGDCA and PGDBA after graduating with a BCA degree.