The core of every business lies either in manufacturing a product or giving service. From hundred-year-old businesses to new-age startups, every business either produces a product or offers a distinct service. MBA in operations teaches you exactly how to do that. This is a course that focuses on learning how to process inputs such as raw material or human resources into an output such as a product or service.
If you want to get into the core of every business, you must learn about operations. Doing an MBA in operations management is the perfect way to ensure that not only do you learn operations but also secure a high-paying job in a reputed company.
In this article, we are going to cover the basics of an MBA in operations like what is the course about, what is its admission process, syllabus, salary, recruiters, and much more. If you have completed your graduation and want to take admission in an MBA course, you should read this guide till the end.
What is MBA in Operations?
MBA in Operations is a two-year-long specialised management course that focuses on learning how to plan, organise, and supervise the running of services or products. It is a post-graduation course that is offered by almost all reputed management colleges and universities in India. Here is a list of key points that will make you better understand what is MBA in Operations:
- The admission process for MBA in Operations is similar to other specialisations such as MBA in Sales, Marketing, or HR.
- With an increasing number of startups in the country and overseas, the scope of an MBA in Operations is impressive.
- This course is beneficial for everyone whether you want to do a high-paying job or you want to start your own business.
MBA in Operations Course Details
|Course Name||MBA In Operations|
|Course Type||Post-graduation/Master Degree|
|Course Duration||Min. 2 years|
|Course Eligibility||Bachelor’s degree in any discipline|
|Top Recruiters||BYJU’S, Zomato, WNS, Amazon, Oyo, SBI, Flipkart|
|Jobs||Operations Manager, Supply Chain Programme Manager, General Operations Manager, Business Analyst, Human Resource Manager, Quality Manager, Area Operations Manager, Logistics Manager|
|Salary||INR 6,00,000 to 10,00,000|
Why MBA in Operations?
Here is a list of some reasons why you should do an MBA in operations:
- Large corporations are always on the lookout for skilled professionals who can do operations management for them. The more skills that you have, the higher your pay will be.
- Doing an MBA in Operations gives you skills that are always needed by businesses. These are skills that help you not only when a particular type of business is in trend but that will be required by all businesses in the foreseeable future.
- After doing an MBA in Operations, you can work in almost every field. Whether you want to join the banking world, get into finance, or ride the technological wave, this degree will help you get entry in almost any field.
- Most businesses shut down because they fail to sustain profits over a long period of time. Doing an MBA in Operations will help you know how to optimise human resources, raw materials, inventory, etc. to get the maximum results. Such a skill set will also help in starting your business.
- The startups that want to go to the next phase of profitability and scale require skilled professionals who can manage operations for them. Thus, a lot of startups that started in the last decade are now ready to pay impressive salaries to MBAs in Operations.
Who should you do an MBA in Operations?
Operations is definitely not a niche category. There are a number of job roles that can fit you according to your personality, skillset, and liking. You should do an MBA in Operations if:
- If you have a knack for organising things, making plans for seamless execution, and getting desired results.
- If you are interested in knowing how businesses manage their production at such a huge scale, how businesses analyse the requirements of the market, and how products meet the expectations of customers.
- If you want to do an MBA and you are interested in the operations side of the business.
- If you are already doing a job in operations management and you want to boost your career with an MBA programme.
- If you have completed your graduation degree in operations management and you want to continue your education in the same field.
- If you are coming from any other discipline but think that operations management is a better fit for you as a career option.
MBA in Operations: Admission Process
The admission process for MBA in Operations includes the following:
- Both modes of admission application are available for students: online mode and offline mode.
- You need to have the following documents to get admitted to an MBA in operations: proof of address, 10th mark sheet, 12th mark sheet, bachelor's degree mark sheet, certificates, Voter Id card, or driver’s licence.
- You should have a graduation degree or proof that your graduation will be completed by the time of admission.
- After submitting the admission form, you will have to go through entrance tests, one on one interviews, and group discussions to get into your desired college or university.
MBA in Operations: Eligibility Criteria
To ensure that only the deserving candidates get seats for MBA in Operations, India’s top institutions have set the following eligibility criteria:
- Minimum 50 percent in your undergraduate course
- Your graduation course must be completed at a recognised college or university
- If you come from a reserved category, you should have a minimum of 45 percent in the undergraduate course.
Note: Some colleges and universities have different eligibility criteria than we just mentioned above. So, do not forget to check the brochure of the institute before you apply for the entrance test.
MBA in Operations Entrance Exams
Before you go through one on one interviews or group discussions, you also have to clear an entrance exam. India’s top institutions conduct the following MBA entrance exams at the centre and state level
Types of MBA Operations Courses
Educational institutions offer flexibility to students to ensure that everyone can get an education according to their needs. So, unlike most other regular courses, you can reduce the time period of an MBA in Operations to half or do it online. Here is a list of types of MBA Operations that you can do in India:
|Full-time||-50% marks in graduation.
-Valid scores in national-level MBA entrance exams.
|Part-time||-50% marks in graduation
-Minimum 2-3 years of work experience.
-Performance in written test/interview/GD.
|Distance Learning||-50% marks in graduation.
-Valid CAT/MAT/GMAT or University level entrance exam score.
-Some colleges have a merit-based selection process
|Online Learning||-50% marks (45% for SC/ST) in graduation.||2-4 years based on the degree and the date of registration|
|Executive MBA||-50% marks in graduation.
-Work Experience of 2-5 years.
MBA in Operations: Syllabus
The basic syllabus of an MBA in Operations stays the same in almost every institution. However, some institutions make the syllabus a little different for different needs. Sunstone has collaborated with the leaders at leading companies to put emphasis on practical knowledge.
Down below, you can find the syllabus of operations specialisation in MBA:
- Business Communication For Managers
- Technology In Management
- Marketing Management
- Organisational Behaviour I
- Managerial Economics
- Business Accounting I
- Business Mathematics
- Managerial Communication
- Analytical Tools For Managers I
- Brand Management
- Organisation Behaviour Ii
- Corporate Finance
- Business Accounting Ii
- Market Research
- Business Statistics
- Professional Communication
- Analytical Tools For Managers Ii
- Sales Management
- Human Resource Management
- Change Management
- Working Capital Management
- Business Problem Solving
- Operations Management
- Summer Internship Project
- Advanced Operation Management
- Business Law
- Operational Research
Required Skills for MBA in Operations
A candidate requires the following skills to succeed as an MBA in Operations:
- Quick decision-making is probably the most important skill that a business operations manager should learn. As an MBA in Operations, you will have to decide on matters about business processes, manufacturing, team integration, product design, and so on.
- One should also have the skill of data analysis to become a better operations manager. From product design to inventory management, you are going to work with data everywhere.
- Since an operations manager also has to deal with a lot of people in different departments, good communication skills are also required to reduce friction and make the product shipping and services seamless for the customers.
Top Colleges for MBA in Operations
Since the MBA in operations management scope is getting better and better every year, almost all reputed management institutions are now teaching MBA in operations. Here is a list of some top colleges in India where you can learn this MBA specialisation:
- NIU, Greater Noida
- NIET, Greater Noida
- IBMR, Hubli
- PISM, Bangalore
- RAYAT-BAHRA, Mohali
- JECRC University, Jaipur
- RR Institutions, Bangalore
- Sage University, Indore
- GD Goenka, Gurugram
- Aditya Institute Of Management, Pune
- Netaji Subhas University, Jamshedpur
Jobs after MBA in Operations
After getting a degree in MBA in Operations, you can apply for the following jobs:
- Operations Manager
- Supply Chain Programme Manager
- General Operations Manager
- Business Analyst
- Human Resource Manager
- Data Analyst
- Logistics manager
- Area Operations Manager
- Quality Manager
- Human Resource Head
Apart from choosing one of the above-mentioned job roles, you can also study further and do a Ph.D. in the same field. You can also choose a teaching job and become a professor in India’s top colleges.
MBA in Operations Salary in India
|Job Profile||Salary Per Annum|
|Operations Manager||3,50,000 - 8,00,000 INR|
|Data Analyst||5,70,000 - 14,00,000 INR|
|General Operations Manager||4,30,000 - 11,25,000 INR|
|Logistics manager||5,00,000 - 8,00,000 INR|
|Supply Chain Programme Manager||4,50,000 - 12,00,000 INR|
|Quality Manager||3,80,000 - 7,00,000 INR|
|Business Analyst||5,20,000 - 9,30,000 INR|
|Human Resource Head||6,00,000 - 13,00,000 INR|
|Human Resource Manager||3,00,000 - 8,00,000 INR|
Top Recruiters for MBA in Operations
Thanks to the high demand for managing operations, every great company hires skilled workers who can make their business operations more efficient. Here is a list of the top recruiters for MBAs in Operations:
FAQs on MBA in Operations
What does an MBA in Operations do?
What is the salary of an MBA in Operations graduate?
What is the eligibility criteria for an MBA in Operations?
How can I get admission to MBA in Operations?
What is the Course Duration of an MBA in Operations?
What are top career opportunities after an MBA in Operations?
Supply Chain Programme Manager
General Operations Manager
Human Resource Manager
Area Operations Manager
Human Resource Head
What are different types of MBA in Operations courses one can apply for?
What are the main entrance exams one can go for to get admission to an MBA in Operations programme?