CAT result highlights
The CAT result for 2021 will tentatively be announced in the first week of January 2022. In this article, you are going to learn all about CAT percentile, cut-off, and how to download your CAT exam result.
Here is a comprehensive list of the important dates, including the CAT result date that you should look out for:
CAT result dates
|CAT 2021 Registration||4 August 2021|
|Last date to register||15 September 2021|
|Admit Card release date||27 October 2021|
|CAT Exam 2021||28 November 2021|
|CAT 2021 Answer Key release||First week of December 2021|
|CAT Result 2021||First week of January 2022|
How to download CAT results?
The CAT results can be downloaded on the official website of IIM-CAT. You will get your CAT result only through an online mode.
How to download CAT scorecard
To download your CAT result, you need to follow these simple steps:
- Visit the official CAT website
- Click on the button that says “CAT Login”
- Enter the CAT 2021 ID and password
- Click on the scorecard tab
- Download your CAT exam result
Details mentioned on the CAT scorecard
The CAT exam result will appear with your name, roll number, category, photo, sectional score, overall score, sectional percentile, and overall percentile.
Your CAT results will be available on the official CAT website till December 31, 2022.
How to calculate CAT percentile?
Before we dive into how to calculate the CAT score, let us remind you of the marking pattern first.
- For each correct answer, 3 marks is awarded
- For each incorrect answer, 1 mark is deducted (-1)
- There is no deduction of marks for an incorrect answer to a non-MCQ type question
The CAT percentile is calculated through these three steps:
- You will first be scored section-wise, after which your overall score will be calculated by totaling the sectional scores
- Your section-wise and overall scores will be normalized to arrive at a scaled CAT score*
- These normalized scores will then be converted into percentiles which will reflect on your CAT scorecard.
*The normalization process refers to adjusting values measured on different scales to a notionally common scale. This helps in aligning distributions to a normal and scaled distribution.
Following the declaration of the result, the IIMs will begin their process of shortlisting based on the CAT cut-offs, for the selection of candidates for the WAT-PI round.
Factors determining CAT cut-offs
The CAT cut-off represents a basic percentile requirement which the colleges decide upon based on:
- Reputation of College
- Number of Aspirants for the college
Top colleges accepting CAT score
Here is a list of the expected CAT cut-offs of 2021 from all the IIMs:
CAT Result Analysis
Here are some highlights from the CAT 2020 results:
- There were 9 candidates who scored a perfect 100 percentile.
- 7 out of these 9 candidates were from an Engineering background, 1 was from a Mathematics background, and 1 from a Management background.
- 19 candidates had scored an overall percentile of 99.99.
- Out of these 19 candidates, 16 were from an Engineering background, 2 from an Economics background, and 1 from a Management background.
FAQs about CAT Result
What is a good CAT score?
The cut-offs for the top MBA colleges such as FMS, MDI, SPJIMR range anywhere between 95 and 99 percentile.
When will the CAT results be out?
Is 70 percentile good in CAT?
Is there any difference between the CAT score and the CAT percentile?
The CAT percentile matters in the screening of candidates for the first round of IIM admissions, which is then followed by a Written Ability Test and Personal Interview (WAT-PI) if the candidate meets the required cut-off.