5800 students unlocked their dream jobs with UG/PG programs in top colleges. Apply Now!
Master's in Business Administration in Information Technology (MBA in IT) program has gained massive popularity amongst students in the last few years. This program was created considering the ever-changing technological developments in the corporate world, creating a demand for skilled and competent IT managers. MBA in IT aims at managing the business aspects of the IT fields. An MBA in IT pursuer is taught to handle the information and communication technologies of a company.
Scope of MBA in Information Technology
The recent shift of the Indian Corporate World towards digitalization has boosted e-commerce and increased the number of online set-ups. This has increased the demand for working professionals who know how to play with the internet and can make use of the online platforms to their maximum potential. This has thus, increased the demand for MBA in IT graduates and raised this specialization to be quite lucrative.
An MBA in IT offers job options available in both private as well as government sectors. Their jobs include various aspects of technology-related activities. A competent MBA in IT may also find opportunities in Defense, Space agencies, and the Automobile sector.
Job options after MBA in IT
According to various survey reports, many organizations are looking for professionals who know how to handle business and incorporate technical aspects into it. Hence, an MBA/PGDM in Information Technology promises students a lucrative career that has its own challenges and targets but is also fun and experimental and gives the aspirant a chance to keep on learning new things and enhance his/her profile.
Salary after an MBA in IT
MBA in IT graduates has an edge over others in the job market. Let’s have a look at the various job roles offered after MBA in Information Technology along with their starting salaries.
Jobs after MBA in IT
Starting Salary for MBA in IT
|Chief Technology Officer
Information System Manager
|Data Processing Manager
Program Manager (IT)
Let’s explore the various IT degree career paths and scope of MBA in IT.
Project Manager (IT)
Many MBA in IT (Information Technology) graduates go for the role of a Project manager in the IT sector. In this role, they are involved in planning various projects within the organization and ensuring that they are executed timely and on track through every stage. An IT Project Manager must ensure that employees share the same vision and work together to achieve their individual goals for the project.
An IT Project Manager has various responsibilities, some of which are given below:
- To recruit, select, provide orientation, train employees and develop personal growth opportunities.
- To define, deliver and support strategic plans to implement information technologies so that the organization’s effectiveness and efficiency are maintained.
- To complete projects by coordinating schedules and resources with user departments and data centers.
- To direct technological research in the right direction by studying company goals, strategies, and practices.
- To recommend information technology strategies, policies, and procedures by evaluating trends and identifying problems.
2. Chief IT Officer
With immense hard work, dedication, and years of work experience, an MBA in IT graduate can easily land the position of Chief Technology Officer in an organization. A CTO is part of an executive team in an organization and leads the efforts of technological advancements within the company. The CTO needs to stay up to date with the developments in the IT sector as he/she decides when technologies need to be updated.
Since CTO is the most senior position in the IT sector of an organization, it holds a lot of responsibilities. Let’s look at some of them:
- To make sure that the technical aspects are aligned with the organization’s strategy to achieve business goals.
- To discover and execute new technologies that generate competitive advantage
- To help other departments of the organization use technology profitably.
- To build quality assurance, and data protection processes and supervise system foundation to ensure functionality and performance.
- To monitor KPIs and IT budgets to evaluate technological performance.
3. IT Consultant
As an IT Consultant, an MBA in IT professional is required to advise clients on how to use IT tools and techniques in order to meet their business objectives effectively and efficiently. An IT consultant must be able to build and improve a client's IT structure, discuss the client’s requirements and define the scope of the client’s IT projects.
Apart from this, an IT Consultant has a lot of other work responsibilities, which you can read below:
- To analyze IT requirements within organizations and give advice to them on the use of the latest IT resources.
- To liaise with staff at all levels of a client's company.
- To clarify a client’s system specifications and requirements, learn their work processes and the nature of their business.
- To design, test, install and monitor new systems for the organization.
- To identify potential clients and build and maintain contacts.
4. Data Processing Manager
The Data Processing Managers are responsible for looking after all aspects of processing data efforts for their organization. A PGDM in Information Technology graduate is preferred for the role of a data processing manager as they are able to work in a fast-paced environment and multitask in a variety of data processing projects to examine and process large amounts of information.
Being a Data Processing Manager is a tough job. Going for this role includes a lot of responsibilities, some of which are given below:
- To assign the workflow to ensure accurate and timely completion of projects
- To manage activity on a daily basis of the data processing team
- To troubleshoot problems related to computer operations or data processing results
- To develop and manage standard operating procedures for the effectiveness and performance of data processing operations.
- To coordinate with customers to analyze data processing needs to determine system development and modification activities.
5. Program Manager (IT)
An information technology (IT) program manager is an administrative position in an organization with its IT department. A student pursuing an MBA in IT is the perfect candidate for this role as he/she is well versed in management techniques and has charisma, communication skills, and leadership ability. This position combines elements of managerial work and technical skill, with the Program Manager directing a team of IT specialists.
A regular day for an IT Program Manager includes a lot of tasks some of which are given below:
- To establish short and long-term program goals and ensure team members meet them.
- To recruit, hire, and train team members.
- To determine budgets and schedules to support the program's implementation.
- To create and implement guidelines for evaluating the strengths and weaknesses of the program.
- To keep an eye on the program’s progress and report it in regular meetings with higher managers and stakeholders funding the program.
Top Recruiters of an MBA in IT
Here is a list of the top companies offering jobs with hefty packages for an MBA in IT:
|Indian Air Force
|Tata Consultancy Services
|Larsen & Toubro
|J. P Morgan etc.