5800 students unlocked their dream jobs with UG/PG programs in top colleges. Apply Now!
A Masters of Business Administration (MBA) degree is now required for securing excellent positions with a solid salary package. The postgraduate programme aids in the development of organisational abilities, business acumen, and leadership attributes required to operate a corporation or execute management responsibilities in various areas and sectors.
MBA courses are not cheap. An MBA programme at a reputable school costs between INR 8 lakh and INR 25 lakh on average. However, the MBA programme at a government institution is not prohibitively expensive. Because the government MBA institutions are financially supported by the government of India, the tuition is quite affordable. However, this does not imply that government MBA programmes are inferior to private MBA programmes.
Indeed, several of India's best MBA colleges are government institutions that compete with private MBA schools in terms of facility, pedagogy, curriculum, faculty, and placements.
The IIMs are the best government MBA institutes in India, however, their fees are exorbitant. IIT Delhi's Department of Management Studies, IIT Kharagpur, IIT Bombay, and IIT Madras are among the top-ranked government MBA programmes in India. Read on to learn about the best government MBA institutions in India and other relevant information.
Eligibility Requirements for Top Government MBA Colleges In India
- Applicants for an MBA degree must have a three-year Bachelor's degree in any subject or an equivalent qualification with a minimum of 50% aggregate marks.
- Applicants from restricted groups may apply for an MBA with a Bachelor's degree and a minimum of 45% aggregate marks.
- Candidates who have completed professional courses such as CA, CS, and CMA, among others, are also eligible to pursue an MBA.
- Working professionals with two or more years of experience in any industry may also obtain an MBA.
Admission Process For Top Government MBA Colleges In India
The CAT (Common Entrance Exam) is one of the most prominent management entrance examinations, held by one of the IIMs for admission to 20 IIMs and other top B-schools throughout India. It is scheduled to take place in the final week of November. The best MBA universities in India employ the CAT result to choose students for further stages, which include Group Discussion (GD), Writing Ability Test (WAT), or both, and Personal Interview (PI).
Another frequent management entrance test administered by the National Testing Agency for admission to MBA IB programmes is the IIFT (Indian Institute of Foreign Trade). Many top government MBA institutes in India accept MAT scores as well. It is held four times a year for admission to more than 500 business schools throughout India.
MBA Entrance Exams
MBA admission in India is mostly determined by entrance test results. 90% of management institutes in India approve a student's candidacy based on a national-level, state-level, or institute-level entrance test score. Some common national-level MBA entry tests are listed below:
- Common Admission Test (CAT): It is the most popular MBA admission test in India, and it is administered by IIMs. The CAT score is accepted for admission to over 1,300 MBA programmes in India. Every year, over 2 lakh students apply for the CAT.
- Common Management Admission Test (CMAT): It is an AICTE-approved admission test administered by the National Testing Agency. Over 1,000 B-schools in India recognise the CMAT score.
- Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT): The Graduate Management Admission Council administers the Graduate Management Aptitude Test (GMAT), a worldwide MBA admission test. Many leading B-Schools in India accept GMAT scores for admission, including XLRI Jamshedpur and ISB Hyderabad.
- Xavier Admission Test (XAT): XLRI Jamshedpur administers the Xavier Aptitude Test (XAT) for admission to its PGDM programmes. Aside from XLRI, the XAT score is accepted by around 800 MBA institutions in India.
- Management Aptitude Test (MAT): Administered by the All India Management Association (AIMA), the MAT is another prominent MBA admission test held many times a year. Over 800 MBA institutions in India recognise the MAT score.
Top 10 Government Colleges For MBA In India -
Top MBA College
MBA Course Fee
Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad
INR 23 Lakhs
Indian Institute of Management Bangalore
INR 23 Lakhs
Indian Institute of Management Calcutta
INR 23 Lakhs
Indian Institute of Management Kozhikode
INR 19.00 Lakhs
IIT Delhi – Department of Management Studies
INR 9.60 Lakhs
Indian Institute of Management Indore
INR 17.07 Lakhs
Indian Institute of Management Lucknow
INR 19.00 Lakhs
INR 10.30 Lakhs
INR 8.67 Lakhs
IIT Madras-Department of Management Studies
INR 6.91 Lakhs
Sunstone is a leading higher education services provider that works with academic institutions in upskilling students for employability. Sunstone offers career-oriented training interventions for undergraduate and postgraduate students at 30+ institutions across 25 cities.
Sunstone’s training programs are industry endorsed to enhance employability. These programs are designed for hybrid delivery with an unparalleled focus on soft skills and personality development. Sunstone’s focus is to provide students with a holistic educational experience.
FAQ - Government MBA Colleges in India
What is the admission process for Government MBA colleges?
CMAT, CAT, XAT, MAT and ATMA are among the top MBA admission test scores approved by government MBA institutions.
What are the advantages of studying in a Government MBA college?
Affordability, recognition, and placements are just a few of the benefits of enrolling at a Government MBA institution. Furthermore, earning an MBA allows one to pursue a PhD in a field of interest.
Which are the top government colleges for MBAs in India?
Some of the top Government MBA institutions, according to the NIRF rankings 2023, include IIM Bangalore, IIM Indore, IIM Ahmedabad, IIM Kozhikode, IIM Calcutta, and IIM Lucknow, as well as the Department of Management Studies of IITs.
Should one pursue MBA after Bcom?
The answer to the query of whether one can pursue an MBA after BCom is undoubtedly yes. MBA is an internationally recognised degree that may be taken after completing any bachelor's degree in the fields of business, science, arts, and so on.
Which MBA job pays the highest?
Investment Banking is one of the highest paying MBA jobs. Investment bankers work in capital markets to raise funds and provide financial advice to both private enterprises and the government.