If you are new to the realm of data, you will encounter the two buzzwords of the coming decade: data analytics and data science. To clarify the often-jumbled distinctions between data science and analytics, below are the outlined definitions of the two blooming roles of a data scientist and a data analyst.
Data analysts assess large data sets for trends, create charts, and generate visual presentations to assist businesses in making more strategic decisions. However, data scientists use prototypes, algorithms, predictive models, and custom assessments to design and build new data modelling and data generation processes.
Despite the many differences in role responsibilities, educational requirements, and career trajectory, data analysts and data scientists have deceptively similar job titles.
Data Science and Analytics Courses
One must have an undergraduate or postgraduate degree in a relevant discipline, such as business information systems, computer science, economics, information management, mathematics, or statistics, to work as a data scientist/analyst. However, this may not be the case always since many data analysts and scientists have non-technical backgrounds.
Qualifications of data scientists and analysts typically include enrolling in an advanced degree in data analysis or a data science course in India. M.Sc. in Data Science, M.Sc. in Business Analytics, M.Sc. in Data Science and Analytics, and M.Sc. in Big Data are among the popular postgraduate qualifications available.
Online Data Science and Analytics Courses
In today's job market, qualified individuals for data-focused careers are in high demand, owing to the strong desire of business firms to understand and capitalise on their data. If you are curious about the cost, the data science course fees vary depending on the type of programme, data science or data analytics course duration, and university or conducting authority. The annual data science course fee ranges between ₹5,000 and ₹2,00,000 in India.
IBM Data Analyst Professional Certificate
- Description: Certificate holders of this course receive practical experience with data manipulation and analytical techniques. They learn to employ a variety of data sources, project scenarios, and data analysis tools such as SQL, Excel, Jupyter Notebooks, Python and Cognos Analytics.
- Data Analyst Course Duration: 11 months
- Host Platform: Coursera
- Topics Covered: Introduction to Data Analysis, Excel Basics for Data Analysis, Data Visualization and Dashboards with Excel and Cognos, Python for Data Science, AI & Development, Python Project for Data Science, Databases and SQL for Data Science with Python, Data Analysis with Python, Data Visualization with Python and IBM Data Analyst Capstone Project.
Google Data Analytics Certificate
- Description: This certification course teaches the skills needed to become a junior or associate data analyst. One will also learn industry-aligned skills through interactive content such as discussions, quizzes, and class activities. After completing the programme, many will understand how to execute data-focused projects and connect with employers hiring for entry-level positions.
- Course Duration: 6 months, with no more than 10 hours of flexible study per week.
- Host Platform: Coursera
- Topics Covered: Data Types and Structure, Foundations of Data, Using Data to Solve Problems, Preparing Data For Exploration, How to Analyse Data, Data Storytelling Through Visualization, Data Analysis with R Programming, and Data Analytics Capstone Project.
The Data Analyst Course: Complete Data Analyst Bootcamp 2022
- Description: The course provides comprehensive training for those seeking to become data analysts at a fraction of the cost of traditional programmes. The course aims to significantly improve your chances of landing a job by preparing you for practical tasks and concepts frequently included in job interviews.
- Course Duration: 20h 55 minutes hours of on-demand video lessons.
- Host Platform: Udemy
- Topics Covered: Theory about data analytics, Basic and Advanced Python, Pandas, NumPy, Data collection, Working with text files, Data preprocessing, Data cleaning, Data visualisation, and Final practical example.
Advanced Data Science and AI Certification
- Description: This is an advanced online certification course that aims to help students master all the fundamental and advanced skills required in the fields of Data Science, Machine Learning, Deep Learning, and Artificial Intelligence.
- Course Duration: 7 months
- Host Platform: Intellipad and IIT Madras
- Topics Covered: Preparatory Session - Linux and Python, Data Analysis With MS-Excel, Data Wrangling with SQL, Python With Data Science, Linear Algebra and Advanced Statistics, Machine Learning, Deep Learning Using TensorFlow, Power BI, Deploying Machine Learning Models With Cloud, Git, Data Science Capstone Project, Business Case Studies, Natural Language Processing, Computer Vision and Data Science At Scale with Pyspark.
Skills Acquired in a Data Science and Data Analytics Course
- Understanding of data computing and statistics.
- Fundamental knowledge of various mathematical formulas and techniques.
- Ability to handle large data sets.
- Data science techniques like data visualisation, data wrangling, data cleansing, machine learning, and so on.
- Basic knowledge of several programming languages such as Java, Python, R, and others.
A widely-acknowledged myth is that you must have a degree in mathematics, computer science or statistics to become a data analyst or data scientist. However, many young graduates in India prefer the BCA degree to specialise in data science or analytics.
Must See: BCA Subjects
We at Sunstone offer end-to-end assistance from student admissions to 100% placement support in collaboration with our network of over 1200+ recruiters across India. Students will not only benefit from industry-aligned training modules but also in-demand advanced certifications that prepare them for a career in data-driven industries. If you wish to know more, reach out to us now!
FAQ - Data Science and Analytics
- What are data science and analytics?
Data science is an umbrella term for several fields, including data analytics, that uses large datasets to mine information. Data analytics software is a more focused version of this, and it can even be considered one of the components of data science.
- What does a data science analyst do?
Data analysts assess large data sets for trends, create charts, and generate visual presentations to assist businesses in making more strategic decisions.
- What can I do with a data science and analytics degree?
After the completion of your degree, you may enter the industry within job roles such as Data Analyst, Business Analyst, Big Data Engineer, Data Scientist, Data Architect and Statistician.